A dental crown is a cap that is placed over a damaged tooth. It looks and feels just like a natural tooth, and it can be used for various purposes.
Dental crowns are durable, and they can last for many years. They are often used to restore the appearance of a tooth that has suffered damage or decay, and they can protect a damaged tooth from further damage. In many cases, dental crowns are used to improve the aesthetics of your smile by covering discolored teeth or misshapen teeth.
What is the Procedure Involved in Dental Crown?
A crown can be made from a variety of materials and is usually made to order in a dental lab. The dentist in Joliet IL will first take impressions of the tooth, as well as the opposing teeth so that the crown will fit perfectly. The impressions are sent to the lab, where they are used to create a custom crown. The dentist may place a temporary crown over the tooth until the permanent one is ready.
How to Care for Dental Crowns?
Caring for your dental crowns is easy. Follow the steps below:
- Avoid chewing hard foods, ice, and popcorn kernels.
- Eat soft foods for the first few days, so you do not bite your crown.
- Do not chew hard foods that can crack your crown.
- Do not eat foods that can stain your teeth.
- Continue to brush and floss your teeth as you normally would.
- Schedule professional cleanings and checkups every six months to keep your smile healthy.
- If you experience any pain or sensitivity, contact your dentist.
- Do not use any alcohol-based mouth rinses, as these can break down dental work.
Is a Dental Crown Right for Me?
Dental crowns provide needed strength and protection to be broken or cracked teeth. If your teeth are chipped or cracked, dental crowns can repair your smile and help prevent further damage and decay.
Dental crowns are also recommended for people with missing teeth. The dental crown acts as a tooth replacement and fills the gap where your tooth used to be.
At Dentistry with a Smile, we offer the best dental care possible to each of our patients in a positive and relaxing environment. If you're ready to experience the best dental care, please contact us at (815) 254-2668 or visit us at 2716 Caton Farm Rd, Joliet, IL 60435.