Dental implants are titanium screws that are surgically placed in your jaw to anchor an artificial tooth. Dental implants are a great option for replacing one or more missing teeth because an implant is a permanent solution. Once an implant is placed, it bonds with your jaw and becomes a permanent part of your smile.
Why are Dental Implants Recommended?
Dental implants are an effective tooth replacement option because they replace an entire tooth, including the root and crown. The titanium implant is surgically embedded into the jawbone, where it will naturally fuse with the bone over time. This creates a secure foundation for the prosthetic tooth, which will be custom-created to match your natural teeth. The crown portion of the implant will be made out of porcelain, which is tooth-colored and naturally beautiful. In addition to restoring your smile, dental implants can improve your oral health because they prevent jawbone recession.
How are Dental Implants Placed?
Dental implant placement is a process that usually takes multiple visits to complete. It's helpful to think of implant placement as two separate procedures:
1. The base of the implant is surgically placed into the jawbone, which is typically made of titanium. After this, the gums are sutured closed and allowed to heal. The implant must fully integrate into the bone before the process of placing an abutment and crown can begin. The entire process can take several months.
2. The abutment, or connector piece, is placed on top of the implant.
Some cases require bone grafting before implant placement. However, this isn't always required.
3. The final customized restoration is placed.
How are Dental Implants Maintained?
Dental implants are permanent tooth replacements. This means they'll require the same care as your natural teeth. You'll need to brush and floss regularly, avoid chewing on hard objects or food and visit your dentist twice a year for regular cleanings and exams.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
The benefits of dental implants are as follows:
- Dental implants are an investment that will eventually pay for itself over the years.
- They can last for the rest of your life with proper care.
- Dental implants protect your jawbone from losing bone mass.
- They also prevent a sunken or collapsed facial appearance, which can happen with missing teeth.
- Dental implants also prevent your remaining teeth from shifting and falling out. This can save you from spending time and money in the future on additional dental procedures.
Implants are a great way to replace gaps or space. But there are pros and cons to it. We need to know you to determine your habits and get to be your family. Talk to us, it helps us to help you.
At Dentistry with a Smile, we offer the best dental care possible to each of our patients in a positive and relaxing environment. If you're ready to experience the best dental care, please contact dentist in Joliet IL at (815) 254-2668 or visit us at 2716 Caton Farm Rd, Joliet, IL 60435.